Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Riflechair Articles

Everyonce in a while I like to write a review paper on rifles that perk my fancy. In the last number of years most of the reviews I've entertained have been on military surplus service rifles. I'm particularly fond of enfields and mausers and thus, so far, I've restricted myself to them.

The truth of the matter is (for me) that I haven't seen any real practicality, reliability nor accuracy surge of any significance out of today's modern manufacturers compared to what was available 50 years ago. The only real saving has been in weight.

These old rifles are getting harder and harder to find in good condition.

The first article (The Mystery Mauser) is an attempt at recreating an original Bosnian K98k Sniper. I was relatively new to this hobby and thus did not fully appreciate how an original specimen might be depreciated as a result of my fiddling. Many in the field of surplus firearm interests would refer to this kind of activity as 'Bubba' sporterizing another milsurp. This was never my intention but I certainly would not do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment